Thursday, March 02, 2006

Chinese Food

Had a decently productive day at work yesterday. Went over a couple code reviews and collaborated on process workflow specifications with Marcin. Tried unsuccessfully to get LightUML installed on my Eclipse. That sucks because I could have used it to generate some object relationship diagrams to share with the Indians.

Anyways, I left work with Paul and took the tram back to his flat, about a 20 minute ride. We talked about the business and how its changed and where we're going and that sort of thing. I'm amazed by people who think beyond tomorrow, I can barely remember what I'm doing today. All I want from a job is to work with interesting people, have fun, get my bills paid, and not get stressed out about it. That doesn't make me a good business leader.

Mark was fishing for interest from me about an executive position during this trip, what it would involve and who might be interested. I felt that he wanted me to say I was interested. I'm not. That would be too much responsibility and I don't handle the pressure well. I'm barely keeping it together right now as it is with this India trip looming ahead. I miss the days of being a junior developer, learning from all the code gurus and finding a little niche to call my own and settling into a comfortable groove. I feel like I've been promoted too quickly as it is and haven't had a chance to learn the skills I need for my position. I think it has a lot to do with the exodus of senior developers leaving me as the most senior by default and the fact that I get along with just about everyone.

Anyways, I got to meet Paul's family: Evonna and little Jacek. We had tea and I collected my laundry while Jacek got his bath. Afterwards Paul and I walked down the road to bring back some Chinese food. We sat and had a beer while it was made and talked more about process, unit testing, agile development, and more work stuff. I like Paul, he is really a very decent person and very intelligent. I respect him. We took the food back when it was ready and had a nice dinner back at the flat. Paul's mother-in-law had just gone home after a visit that day and had left behind fresh crepes so we had those for desert. It was delicious.

I was worn out and ready for bed around 10pm and so said good night and Paul walked me to the tram station and sent me back to the hotel. A short tram ride later I was back at the hotel and ready to call it a night. I tried to catch up on work and emails, but I just didn't have the energy to spare.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the work update. It was interesting. Paul sounds like a good guy. Sorry the software wouldn't work on your laptop. That must be a bummer.

Wow, both LL and Thompson is after your butt. Cool. I know that you prefer the independence of being a craftsman to the "business" of being a manager. It is just nice to know that you have proven to them that you also have the ability to solve problems and lead others.

So happy you have enjoyed Poland so far. Your reports and pics have actually made me interested in visiting a place that I had not thought much about traveling to before.

Good luck in India. What a change that will be. Hang on to your wallet even tighter and enjoy the ride!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

What do you mean you won't take the executive position? I was practically begging you!

Mark

Anonymous said...

OOPS!!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

Just note to let you know I just finished showing Grandpa your blog and your pictures. He was very impressed with the pictures as well as what you have been doing. He was blown away by the technology of having the pictures in our hands while you were still over there.

He remembers hearing a lot about Krakow from his WWII days and the discovery of the concentration camps. He was glad to see things were looking pretty good now.

Keep blogging and say hi from India.

Dad