Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Blessed by Lakshmi

I posted some new pics from my visit to Ashta Lakshmi, which I learned means the 8 Lakshmi. It is a temple celebrating 8 different incarnations of Lakshmi, the wife of the god Vishnu. Idols depicting these incarnations are on the different levels of the temple and facing each of the cardinal directions.

I was instructed to remove my shoes before entering the temple grounds, but the guards were not at the front gate to tell me not to take pictures so I was able to get away with taking a few. Entering the temple I was led around the base of a stone flag pole which protruded through a hole in the ceiling and finally to a central shrine with idols depicting both Vishnu and his wife Lakshmi. A holy man was there who helped me perform a ritual involving waving my hand over a candle and crossing my face. Then I held my cupped hands out to receive some scented water which I was to sip and then spread over my head. He then turned and walked up the steep stone stair case to the next tier, and I followed. From the top of the steps I caught a glimpse of the Bay of Bengal over a balcony of the temple and also could now see the top of the stone flag pole, but a metal guardrail prevented me from going that direction, instead it lead me around the corner to where the holy man was waiting at the next shrine. Here I received my forehead dot and an engraved conical metal cap was placed briefly on my head. I continued around the walkway and was greeted by a second holy man tending yet another shrine. He also performed the ritual with a metal hat and then gave me a lotus blossom. I followed the path around back to the front of the temple and was able to walk out onto the balcony and take a few pictures. From there I continued up another steep flight of stairs to the top of the temple. There was one last shrine at the top devoted to the incarnation of Lakshmi that promoted wealth.

Keval and Bhargavi tried their best to explain the different aspects and stories behind the statues and give me a better sense of the functions of the temple. I listened with much enthusiasm but very little understanding.

Work was someone short today since we left early in order to catch the temple when it was open. I led the team through some of my topics and answered questions from 11:00 - 16:00 with a short break in the middle. Since I had eaten a sizeable breakfast I didn't feel the need to take lunch, but I did have a cup of the delicious spiced tea that comes out of that magic little yellow box out on the break porch. I got back to the hotel by 17:30.

Everytime Keval pulls into the Park Sheraton lot to drop me off we have to go through a quick car bomb check. An attendant with an angled mirror mounted on wheels and low to the ground stops us and then checks the underside of the car before letting us pull up to the front doors. Its always done in the same almost ritualistic way although the attendant changes sometimes. Just one of the many services available at the Chennai Park Sheraton Hotel & Towers.

Once I dropped off my stuff in the room I went back downstairs to grab something to eat. Most restaurants are closed after the lunch hour and don't reopen until 19:30 or later for dinner, but Cappucinos is open all hours for guys like me. I gave them a second chance and this time ordered an Indian meal. It was rather good, chicken in tomato gravy, steamed rice, and some baked beans. Not so spicy, so my stomach should be okay tonight.

Going to go check out the scene at Dublin tonight. Hope there will be some people there, it was dead the other night. Later.

No comments: