Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rapidly changing plans

Okay I need to catch everyone up, I've been falling too far behind.

Tuesday was another busy day at work. For lunch Paul and I rode the tram into old town again and tried a very traditional Polish style restaurant. It was tasty, but service was slow as usual. I'm still having a hard time being patient when it comes to paying the check and
leaving.

I ended up staying late at work and then wandering down to the train station to buy tickets for my trip to Prague. The help desk lady said "gate nine-ten" which I heard as "nineteen" when I asked where I could purchase such a ticket. So after waiting in the wrong line and getting hassled by a very drunk and smelly beggar for several minutes I was summarily directed to the correct window for international train tickets on the other side of the station. After another short wait I was able to schedule and reserve a sleeping car to Prague and back for this coming weekend. Little did I know that my plans would be changing so radically before I got a chance to use them, more on that later.

After leaving the station it was time for dinner so I got out my guidebook, took a seat and looked for some suggestions for dinner, since I was on my own for the rest of the evening. I decided on a recommended Italian restaurant that was situated on the main square. It was a nice night and I enjoyed the walk, peeking in shop windows and taking my time. Along the way I was stopped by another beggar, this one actually knew how to beg in Polish and English and when he realized I spoke no Polish he switched and said "Sorry, you give me two zloty!". I was impressed to find such a forthright polyglot.

I eventually found the cafe I was looking for, Da Pietro, and took a seat at a table outside under the umbrellas. I got served promptly, ordered some garlic bread, pasta, and wine, and was pleased to see that the firedancers were just setting up and starting their routine right in front of me. I played around with my camera trying to get some decent shots of the fire play. I'm not too satisfied with the results, but I think you can get the idea.

After my meal and entertainment I was ready to get back to the hotel and catch up with my email and such. When I got back and logged on Harold, my boss, was online and had some news for me. Apparently they had decided to cut my business trip in half and bring me home early. I was disappointed to say the least, not only am I enjoying myself so very much, but the reasons behind the changes implied that this would be the last time I could expect to come back here or work with the excellent people here at LLP. I also was very stressed about the idea of changing my flight plans, since I feel much better after my last trip having a paper ticket in hand.

By the time I finished talking with Harold I had worked out a plan that I would stay the originally planned full three weeks, but the last week and a half would be on my own dollar and basically be vacation time. So LL stops paying for me next Wednesday the 17th, then I am on my own until my plane leaves on Friday the 26th.

Since that night I've been planning my new trip itinerary. My goal is to take a long looping train trip starting in Prague, then to Vienna, off to Bratislava, continuing on to Budapest, and finally returning to Krakow on the 25th. I will have to go to the train station tonight and change my ticket reservations. I'm very excited about the trip, but a little nervous about being on my own for so long. At least I am choosing very touristy cities that will most likely cater to my needs.

That's all I have time for today. Enjoy the pictures, they are a preview of last nights activities, and I will fill you in on the details tomorrow.

Czesc.

No comments: