Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Bathing with the locals

I spent all day wandering Andrassy Utca, one of the main drags that goes from the center of Pest out the the city park. It had been raining lightly all day, but not so heavy that I've felt the need to hide indoors. Along the way I visited the Terror Museum, which documents Hungaries occupation first by the Nazis and then by the Soviet Union. It was a very modern museum with very dramatic displays and impressive use of technology. The main atrium is very memorable, with a massive Soviet tank filling the space and a wall stretching up three floors with pictures of victims. The exhibit starts at the top and you work your way down to the first floor (that's the 2nd story to you American types). From there you take a very slow elevator ride down to the basement while a short DVD plays on a flatscreen in the elevator describing the execution procedure. At first I was confused why they wanted to shuffle me into the elevator, I was fine using the stairs I told them and went looking for some, but the museum staff persisted and eventually ushered me into the elevator with the rest of the waiting tourists.

At the end of Andrassy Utca is Heroes Square with a massive group of monuments and statues dedicated to the greatest Hungarians in history. Behind Heroes Square a bridge led to the City Park, built in 1896 to celebrate Hungary's 1000th birthday. There was a replica of a Transylvanian castle, during the time Hungary ruled that part of the continent, lots of paths to wander, a zoo, and the Szechenyi Baths. By far the greatest attraction is the Baths, and so far my most favorite experience here in Budapest. Built in Roman and Turkish style, the outside baths are massive and opulent. I borrowed a suit and towel and strutted my stuff around the hot baths along with the hairy, pot-bellied, and speedo-clad men playing chess in the baths. The water was so warm and rejuvinating, it felt so good to just float around and stand under the spouts of water. The light rain ceased to matter. Unfortunately I wasn't aloud to take pictures while in the baths, besides there was nowhere to put my camera once I got stripped down. I spent about two hours lounging around in the baths before continuing on with my day.

After getting dried off, dressed, and back on the street it was time for a late lunch. I found a nice cafe around the corner from the zoo and had a delightful meal, complete with a couple of glasses of Hungarian sweet wine, Tokaji. Next I strolled through the zoo, which wasn't anything special, but since I was there it was a nice way to spend half an hour.

I rode the Metro back towards the center of town. The orange line plays these cute little musical ditties when you pull into and leave a station. I was whistling along with them in no time. I got off at the Opera station because I'd read there was a decent internet cafe nearby. Lo and behold, I have found it and it is good. I will save posting my last pictures for when I get back to Krakow. I can use my laptop and the internet at the office which will be much more enjoyable and less expensive.

I leave for Krakow on the night train at 19:10, just three hours from now. I'm not sure what I'm going to fill the remaining time with. Talk to you all again soon.

No comments: