Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pillar project phase 3

Over the last few days I finished painting the pillars and attached the skull toppers. Pictures are here. I had to sand and cut down the foam before painting them. I used gray latex primer, 2 coats, and once that dried I use black acrylic spray paint to give them a weathered look. It didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped. I should have used black primer and then dry-brushed gray over top.

The skulls gave me a bit a of a problem. I decided not to put the lights inside the pillars. Instead I'll have the lights attached on the outside and through the back of the skulls. I cut holes in the skulls and then attached them to the tops of the pillars with hot glue. I had to pick the "best" side of each pillar for the front and top. They were all a bit lop-sided and uneven. Today I might chop off a few inches of my fence sections and then set it all up in the yard.

No comments: